The good news is:
1) Obama signed an executive order to close down Guantanamo prison and stop the torture.
2) He has invited and received overtures from Cuba, Venezuela, and Iran to get past decades of ill will and at least talk to one another.
3) He has decided to go slow on an anti-missile defense system in Poland which, means Russia will go slow at targeting nuclear missiles at Poland.
The bad news:
Obama doesn’t know how to play hardball politics and that is gonna bite his ass sooner rather than later. The Republicans all say what a nice guy he is, but not one Republican congressman voted for the stimulus package.
There are two good ways to get their attention:
1) Threaten to yank Bush’s rich people’s tax cuts NOW, not wait for them to expire, unless the Republicans decide to meet him in the middle somewhere.
2) Threaten to investigate Bush, Cheney, Rove and Rumsfeld for high crimes and misdemeanors while in office, unless Republicans decide to meet him in the middle somewhere.
This country has drifted so far to the right we don’t even know where the middle really is any more. Time to push back the goal posts.
Capitalists want the corporations to run everything. Communists want the government to run everything. Socialists, like me, want the government to run big enterprises and individuals to run small ones – like Europe, which has TWICE AS MANY self-employed people as the good old “free market” USA. Twice as many self-employed workers, as a percentage of population.
The middle is socialism, not Obamaism. We should be rattling our sabers to nationalize Exxon Mobile, not bail out Wall Street.
Time to play hardball. The Republicans didn’t vote for Obama for a good reason. They don’t like his programs. They have to be kicked in the butt to get behind his agenda. As Rush Limbaugh said, he wants Obama to fail. Because if he succeeds it means that everything Limbaugh and Reagan and all the right wing geeks have been saying for 30 years proves out as ideological bullshit. Free market my ass. You can’t give Wall Street a trillion dollar bailout and pretend that this is a free market. It’s Corporate Communism, where corporations run the government.
Time to play hardball with them like they’ve been doing for 30 years with us. Kick the right wing bastards in the ass and hold ‘em down.